- 42 The Calls
- Rooms & Suites
- Meetings & Events
- Media Gallery
- Food at 42
- Private Dining
- Afternoon Tea
- News & Press
- Offers & Prices
- January Deals
Christmas Recipes at 42 The Calls
November 27th, 2012
Homemade Treats Served to all Guests During December at 42 The Call
At Christmas, everyone visiting 42 The Calls in Leeds is greeted with a mince pie and mulled wine welcome. If - like us - you think our homemade treats are particularly delicious, why not try the recipe used by our expert in-house chefs?
Our fresh mincemeat filling is so simple to make you'll be able to put it together in minutes.
First, sterilise some jars to store your mix in, either by placing them in a dishwasher, or heating them up an oven at 350°F/180°C/Gas 4 for about 20 minutes.
Then take a large mixing bowl and add:
- 225g suet (vegetarian)
- 225g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 125g candied peel, coarsely chopped
- 225g sultanas
- 225g raisins
- 225g currants
- 175g Demerara sugar
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 60ml/2fl oz brandy
Once you have the mixture together, simply place into the jars (ensuring they have cooled first) and seal. Then simply store in a cool dark place until you need them.
Now that you have your mincemeat sorted, it's time to prepare the pastry (this recipe will produce around 18 pies), for this you will need:
- 225g unsalted diced butter
- 350g sifted plain flour
- 100g golden caster sugar
- Splash of water
- Milk or egg (to glaze)
To prepare your pastry, place the sugar, butter, and sifted flour into a food processor and blitz briefly until you have a mixture resembling breadcrumbs. You can also achieve this by rubbing the mixture together in a large bowl.
Once you have done this, slowly add a tiny splash of water and knead it all together.
Gather the mixture together, wrap in clingfilm and place in the fridge for at least an hour.
Whilst you are waiting for your pastry to proof, lightly butter your mince pie tray and preheat your oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
Thinly roll out your pastry on a floured surface and cut out 12 bases and 12 tops for your mince pies. Gently arrange the bases inside the pie tins and then add your freshly prepared mincemeat filling.
Place the lids on top, crimping at the edges to seal, then glaze with milk (or egg if you prefer) and make small slits in the top (or prick with a fork).
Bake the pies in the oven for 20 minutes, then remove to a cooling tray.
Stay at 42 The Calls this December
If you're thinking of staying in Leeds during December, you can taste our homely mince pies first-hand.
- 14 percent Discount this March & April
March & April Special Offer: 14% Off Sunday to Friday
- 20.14 Percent Off 3 Night Stays
20.14% off Three Night Stays at 42 The Calls
- Best Available Rate
Best Available Rate at 42 The Calls Hotel
- Advance Purchase Price
Advance Purchase Price at 42 The Calls in Leeds
- Two Nights Stay Offer
Stay 2 Nights, Save 15% at 42 The Calls in Leeds
- Afternoon Tea at 42 The Calls
- Leeds: The North’s Shopping Destination
- Valentine's in Leeds at 42 the Calls
- Christmas Parties in the River Room Starting this Sunday
- Exclusive Discounts for Andrea Bocelli Concert in Leeds
- Shop and Stay in Leeds This Christmas Season
- Christmas in Leeds with 42 the Calls
- JJW Hotels and Resorts to Take Over Management of Le Meridien Penina
- Personal Shopper Experience at REISS Leeds: 26th September-6th October 2013
- Leeds Festival 2013: Wellington Boot Cleaning
- 42 The Calls Receives Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence
- 42 The Calls Visits Angelica's at the new Trinity Shopping Centre
- Bruce Springsteen Comes to Leeds
- What's on in Leeds - 2013
- Christmas Recipes at 42 The Calls
- 42 The Calls team up with Reiss
- What's on in Leeds: Summer at 42 The Calls
- Holidays at Home are GREAT with 42 The Calls
- Leeds City Varieties is Back - and Bigger than Ever
- Kaiser Chiefs Come Home to Leeds
- Yorkshire Day with 42 The Calls
- Leeds Loves Food at 42 the Calls
- Leeds Festival at 42 The Calls